AKRON, OH – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won their 11th consecutive match on Saturday afternoon as the Bulls remained undefeated in MAC play following a 6-1 win at Akron. The Bulls improved to 14-3 on the season and 7-0 in league play. With just one regular season match remaining, UB has clinched at least a share of the MAC regular season title and they have claimed the #1 seed in the upcoming MAC Tournament.
Buffalo took the doubles point with a pair of wins. The number one team of Chantal Martinez Blanco and Lolade Ogungbesan won 6-3, while Emel Abibula and Arianna Paules Aldrey won at third doubles, 6-4. The second doubles match was tied at 6-6 when play was stopped.
In singles action, UB took five of the six matches played, the fifth straight match that Buffalo has won at least five singles matches. The Bulls won a pair of 6-1, 6-1 contests from Aldrey at sixth singles and senior Tanja Stojanovska at second singles. Junior Sanjana Sudhir won her match in straight sets at fifth singles, 6-2, 6-3, which clinched the match for UB.
The Zips came away with a victory at three to get on the board, but the Bulls ended the afternoon by winning a pair of three-set matches. Abibula came away with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-4 win at fourth singles and Martinez Blanco won at first singles, 7-5, 3-6, 10-7.
"Our team really rose up to the occasion today," said head coach Kristen Maines. "Akron fought hard and we played the big points really smart and showed why we are undefeated in conference today. There are no easy matches in this league and I am so proud of what we continue to do on the court this year each and every match."
The Bulls will close out the regular season at home on Friday as they look to wrap up their first ever undefeated MAC season.
UB will host Ball State on April 20 at 1pm at the Miller Tennis Center. This will also mark senior day for Ogungbesan and Stojanovska.
- Chantal Martinez Blanco/Lolade Ogungbesan (UB) def. Rita Pedroso/Anna Uljanov (UA), 6-3
- Tanja Stojanovska/Anna Savchenko (UB) vs. Carli Knezevich/Miruna Vasilescu (UA), 6-6
- Emel Abibula/Arianna Paules Aldrey (UB) def. Luisa Echeverry/Waverly Wituski (UA), 6-4
- Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Miruna Vasilescu (UA), 7-5, 3-6, 10-7
- Tanja Stojanovska (UB) def. Rita Pedroso (UA), 6-1, 6-1
- Anna Uljanov (UA) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (UB), 7-5, 6-4
- Emel Abibula (UB) def. Carli Knezevich (UA), 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
- Sanjana Sudhir (UB) def. Luisa Echeverry (UA), 6-2, 6-3
- Arianna Paules Aldrey (UB) def. Carla Flores (UA), 6-1, 6-1