STATE COLLEGE, PA – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team played strong doubles on Sunday afternoon against Big Ten foe Penn State, but the Bulls struggled in singles in a 6-1 loss to the Nittany Lions.
UB came away with the doubles point, picking up a win early at third doubles as Emel Abibula and Arianna Paules Aldrey scored a 6-4 win. After Penn State won at one, the Bulls need a victory at second doubles and they got it in a tiebreaker, as Chantal Martinez Blanco and Lolade Ogungbesan won 7-6 (4).
Penn State won five of the six singles matches in straight sets with junior Sanjana Sudhir the one player, who was able to go three sets. She won her first set in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (8), before falling 6-4, 10-6 in the final two sets.
The Bulls return to Western New York on Friday evening when they will host Niagara at the Miller Tennis Center at 7:30 pm.
1. Gabby O'Gorman (PSU) def. Chantal Martinez Blanco (BUF) 6-3, 6-2
2. Frederikke Svarre (PSU) def. Tanja Stojanovska (BUF) 6-3, 6-4
3. Shannon Hanley (PSU) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (BUF) 6-0, 7-5
4. Samantha Smith (PSU) def. Emel Abibula (BUF) 6-3, 6-2
5. Bennett Dunn (PSU) def. Mercedes Losada Rubio (BUF) 7-6 (0), 6-1
6. Hanna Wikberg (PSU) def. Sanjana Sudhir (BUF) 6-7 (8), 6-4, 10-6