MORGANTOWN, WV – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team had a heartbreaking 4-3 defeat on Saturday at West Virginia as the match came down to a third-set tiebreaker at fifth singles.
West Virginia won the crucial doubles point with victories at one and two. The match at third doubles was tied at 4-4 when play was stopped.
The Mountaineers won at one to take a 2-0 lead before UB picked up its first win as sophomore Emel Abibula won easily at four, 6-2, 6-1. West Virginia then won at three to take the 3-1 lead, but the Bulls fought back to tie it up.
Senior Tanja Stojanovska came away with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 win at two and junior Sanjana Sudhir won 6-1, 6-2 at six to tie it up at 3-3. Junior Mercedes Losada Rubio dropped her first set at fifth singles, but came back to win the second 6-4, which forced a third set. The two players remained tied at 6-6 as they went to the tiebreaker, which WVU's Giovanna Caputo won 7-5.
The Bulls will continue their road trip tomorrow when they face Penn State at 11:00 am.
1. Christina Jordan (WVU) def. Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) 6-0, 6-1
2. Tanja Stojanovska (UB) def. Anne-Sophie Courteau (WVU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Lyn Yuen Choo (WVU) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (UB) 6-4, 6-3
4. Emel Abibula (UB) def. Sofia Duran (WVU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Giovanna Caputo (WVU) def. Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB) 6-0, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Sanjana Sudhir (UB) def. Abigail Rosiello (WVU) 6-1, 6-2