TOLEDO, OH – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team closed out the regular season with its fifth straight victory, defeating Toledo 4-3. The Bulls improved to 5-3 in MAC play as they begin next week's conference tournament as the third seed.
The Rockets won the doubles point with victories at two and three, but the Bulls led at one when doubles play was stopped.
Buffalo was able to win four of the six matches in singles play to come back for the victory. Toledo picked up wins at one and four, but the Bulls were victorious in the other four. Sophomore Chantal Martinez Blanco won at second singles, 6-4, 6-3, while freshman Emel Abibula came away with a 6-4, 7-5 win at three.
"Toledo gave us a tough fight today," said assistant coach Smaranda Stan. "They played really smart doubles, but we came back in singles and played very disciplined with a clear mind on the strategy."
The Bulls will open Mid-American Conference Tournament play on Friday when the third-seeded Bulls take on the #6 seed, Western Michigan. The match will begin at 2pm. The winner will face #2 Akron in the league semifinals.
- Tanja Stojanovska/Margarita Kotok (UB) led Mimi Kendall-Woseley/Dee Dee Leenabanchong (UT), 6-5
- Megan Miller/Claire Aleck (UT) def. Chantal Martinez Blanco/Anna Savchenko (UB), 6-4
- Sidnay Huck/Colleen O'Brien (UT) def. Laura Holterbosch/Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB), 6-3
- Mimi Kendall-Woseley (UT) def. Tanja Stojanovska (UB), 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
- Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Sidnay Huck (UT), 6-4, 6-3
- Emel Abibula (UB) def. Colleen O'Brien (UT), 6-4, 7-5
- Dee Dee Leenabanchong (UT) def. Anna Savchenko (UB), 6-3, 6-3
- Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB) def. Megan Miller (UT), 6-2, 6-2
- Sanjana Sudhir (UB) def. Claire Aleck (UT), 6-4, 7-5