WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won four of six matches in singles play, leading the Bulls to a 4-3 comeback victory over Miami (OH), Sunday afternoon at the Miller Tennis Center.
Singles was hard fought on both ends as three of the six matches went into three sets. Miami won at five to take a 2-0 lead before sophomore Sanjana Sudhir won at six, 6-3, 6-3 and freshman Emel Abibula won at three, 6-2, 1-6, 6-1. Miami regained a 3-2 lead with a victory at four, but UB was able to win the final two matches.
Junior Tanja Stojanovska was first as she overcame a first set loss at one to win, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, tying the match up at 3-3 with second singles the last match on the court. Martinez Blanco was down 5-2 in the first set, but she won five straight games to take the first set 7-5 and then she won the second set 6-4 to clinch the match for UB, its third straight win in league play.
"We played outstanding in singles today," said head coach Kristen Maines. "It began with Sanjana at six and then we played really well under pressure and one, two, and three. We built off the success of Friday in keeping things simple and executing. Miami is a great team, but we were just a little bit tougher today."
UB will close out their home schedule on Friday afternoon when they host Eastern Michigan at 1:00 pm.
- Nelli Ponomareva/Anzhelika Shapovalova (MIA) def. Tanja Stojanovska/Margarita Kotok (UB), 6-4
- Chantal Martinez Blanco/Anna Savchenko (UB) def. Hannah Shteyn/Anastasiia Vasiukhina (MIA), 6-2
- Emily Struble/Andreea Badileanu (MIA) def. Laura Holterbosch/Emel Abibula (UB), 7-6 (3)
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
- Tanja Stojanovska (UB) def. Nelli Ponomareva (MIA), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Anzhelika Shapovalova (MIA), 7-5, 6-4
- Emel Abibula (UB) def. Andreea Badileanu (MIA), 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
- Emily Struble (MIA) def. Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB), 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
- Hannah Shteyn (MIA) def. Anna Savchenko (UB), 6-3, 6-2
- Sanjana Sudhir (UB) def. Anastasiia Vasiukhina (MIA), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5,6,3,4,1,2