BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis teams rolled past Bowling Green on Friday afternoon as the Bulls swept the Falcons, 7-0. The win was UB's second straight in Mid-American Conference play. The match was UB's first home contest this spring to be held outdoors at the University Tennis Center on campus.
With just five players on their roster, Bowling Green was forced to default at third double and sixth singles, meaning UB needed just one win at doubles for the point. UB got that victory at first doubles as Tanja Stojanovska and Margarita Kotok won, 7-5. The match at second doubles was tied 5-5 when it was stopped.
UB led 2-0 with the default win at six when Stojanovska won her singles match at one, 6-2, 6-3 and sophomore Sanjana Sudhir clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win at five. Buffalo continued its impressive play at four as Mercedes Losada Rubio won, 6-2, 6-2. Freshman Emel Abibula then won in three sets at three, 5-7, 6-2, 10-2, before sophomore Chantal Martinez Blanco finished the sweep at two with a 6-2, 6-2 win.
"We have been working on just simplifying the game and today I thought we did a good job doing that all around," said head coach Kristen Maines. "It is never easy to sweep a conference opponent so I give a lot of credit to our team for being able to take care of business on every court."
UB remains home on Sunday afternoon when the Bulls host Miami (OH) at 1pm. With rain in the forecast, the match will most likely be played at the Miller Tennis Center.
- Tanja Stojanovska/Margarita Kotok (UB) def. Paula Comella/Marharita-Sophia Tavpash (BG), 7-5
- Chantal Martinez Blanco/Anna Savchenko (UB) vs. Polina Radeva/Ayumi Sasaki, 5-5
- Laura Holterbosch/Emel Abibula (UB) won by default
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
- Tanja Stojanovska (UB) def. Paula Comella (BG), 6-2, 6-3
- Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Marharita-Sophia Tavpash (BG), 6-2, 6-2
- Emel Abibula (UB) def. Polina Radeva (BG), 5-7, 6-2, 10-2
- Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB) def. Ayumi Sasaki (BG), 6-2, 6-2
- Sanjana Sudhir (UB) def. Emily Witt (BG), 6-3, 6-2
- Anna Savchenko (UB) won by default
Order of Finish: 6,1,5,4,3,2