PITTSBURGH, PA – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won their third straight match on Friday evening as the Bulls defeated Duquesne, 4-3. The win improves the Bulls to 5-2 on the season.
The Bulls took the important doubles point, which proved to be the difference in the match. Buffalo picked up a win at first doubles as Tanja Stojanovska and Margarita Kotok won 6-3, while the Bulls also won at two as Anna Savchenko and Chantal Martinez Blanco continued their strong doubles with a 6-1 victory.
In singles play, sophomore Mercedes Losada Rubio scored a 6-4, 6-0 win at third singles, while freshman Emel Abibula won at fifth singles, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. The most impressive win for the Bulls may have come at six though as sophomore Sanjana Sudhir handed Laurel Shymansky her first loss of the season with a 7-6 (6), 5-7, 6-2 win. Prior to tonight, Shymansky had won her first 10 matches of the year.
"Doubles was key today as we continue to play aggressive and it is paying off," said assistant coach Smaranda Stan. "In singles we knew we would face tough competition and it was great to see the team fight hard until the end. I give our group a lot of credit for adjusting and overcoming adversity, especially Sanjana who showed a lot of resiliency in the third set to clinch the match for us."
The Bulls will remain in Pittsburgh tomorrow as they will face Towson in a neutral site match beginning at 4:00 pm.
- Tanja Stojanovska/Margarita Kotok (UB) def. Kylie Isaacs/Aishwarya Kona (DUQ), 6-3
- Anna Savchenko/Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB) def. Julianna Herman/Ally Miller (DUQ), 6-1
- Megan Wasson/Laurel Shymansky (DUQ) def. Laura Holterbosch/Haley Hollins (UB), 6-3
- Kylie Issacs (DUQ) def. Chantal Martinez Blanco (UB), 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
- Julianne Herman (DUQ) def. Tanja Stojanovska (UB), 6-2, 6-7 (6), 6-3
- Mercedes Losada Rubio (UB) def. Ally Miller (DUQ), 6-4, 6-0
- Megan Wasson (DUQ) def. Anna Savchenko (UB), 6-4, 7-5
- Emel Abibula (UB) def. Aishwarya Kona (DUQ), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
- Sanjana Sudhir (UB) def. Laurel Shymansky (DUQ), 7-6 (6), 5-7, 6-2