BUFFALO, NY – A two-goal first half helped the University at Buffalo women's soccer team (4-1-0, 0-0-0 MAC) earn their fourth straight win on Thursday night in their home opener. The Bulls cruised to the 2-1 victory over Big 4 foe Canisius inside UB Stadium as Tess Ford and Adrianna VanCuyck each netted their first career goals in the victory.
- Score: Buffalo 2, Canisius 1
- Records: Buffalo (4-1-0, 0-0-0 MAC), Canisius (2-2-1, 0-0-0 MAAC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Tess Ford (1), Adrianna VanCuyck (1)
- Buffalo Assist: Gurjeena Jandu (1), Carissima Cutrona (4)
- Canisius Goal Scorer: Madeline Beaulieu (3)
- Canisius Assist: Paige Buscaglia (1)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Attendance: 810
- Buffalo: Emily Kelly, Rebecca Bramble, Gurjeena Jandu, Tess Ford, Abbey Callaghan, Hannah Callaghan, Kaitlyn Walsh, Adrianna VanCuyck, Gianna Yurchak, Marcy Barberic, Carissima Cutrona
- Canisius: Alana Rossi, Magdalen Canitia, Emily Kuta, Hope Balling, Melanie Linsmair, Emily Czechowski, Madeline Beaulieu, Hanna Friberg, Alicia Larsson Vahlberg, Sydney Livermore, Paige Buscaglia
How It Happened
- The Griffs were able to notch the first shot of the match in the ninth minute of play as Paige Buscaglia ripped a shot that was grabbed by Emily Kelly.
- Canisius had a dangerous scoring chance in the 21st minute as Madeline Beaulieu had a hard shot snagged by Emily Kelly who was in perfect position for the save.
- Buffalo was able to get on the board first in the 26th minute as Gurjeena Jandu sent a perfect corner into the box where Tess Ford got her right foot on the ball and buried it into the right corner of the Canisius goal. Gurjeena Jandu netted her first assist of the season on the goal.
- After some back-and-forth play, the Bulls were able to strike for their second goal in under 10 minutes as Carissima Cutrona made a great run down the left sideline and made a great pass into the middle of the field where Adrianna VanCuyck ripped a perfectly placed shot over the outstretched arm of the Canisius keeper, just under the cross bar.
- The Griffs came out quick in the second half as Madeline Beaulieu saw her header attempt saved by Emily Kelly to keep the game 2-0 in favor of the Bulls.
- Andrea Judasz had a great chance in the 50th minute but her attempt off the corner kick went just wide of the Canisius goal.
- The Golden Griffins were able to net their first goal of the match in the 56th minute as Madeline Beaulieu beat Emily Kelly to the left corner after a great feed from Paige Buscaglia.
- In the 64th minute, Gianna Yurchak had a dangerous chance from in close but her hard shot was stopped by the Griffs keeper, keeping the score 2-1 in favor of UB.
- Hannah Callaghan had a shot from distance in the 75th minute that the Canisius keeper calmly grabbed and cleared away.
- In the 81ST minute, Marcy Barberic ripped a shot from distance that was saved by the Canisius keeper after a good pass from Carissima Cutrona.
- Marcy Barberic had a great scoring chance in the 85th minute as she made a strong run and launched a shot that was saved by the diving keeper to her right, keeping the score 2-1 in favor of the Bulls.
- The Bulls were able to play tough defensively across the final five minutes of the match as they preserved the 2-1 home victory over the pesky Canisius Golden Griffins.
Inside The Numbers
- This meeting marked the 38th of all-time between the two sides with the Bulls owning the 24-11-3 record against the Griffs including going 6-1-0 against Canisius over their last seven meetings.
- The Bulls saw their shutout streak end on Thursday night as the Griffs netted a second half goal. UB's streak ended at 383:45 minutes, marking the second longest streak in school history.
- A season-high five freshman earned starts for the Bulls on Thursday including the first career start for Katherine Camper.
- The goal for Tess Ford was her first career marker and the third point of her UB career.
- Adrianna VanCuyck notched her first career goal, the game-winner, in the first half of the match.
- For the match, Buffalo held the 18-7 edge in shots and the 10-1 edge in corner kicks.
- Senior Carissima Cutrona led the Bulls with four shots while Gianna Yurchak, Marcy Barberic and Tess Ford each notched three shots in the win.
- Emily Kelly collected her fourth straight win in goal as she finished off her night with three saves.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected sophomore Gianna Yurchak as the Player of the Match after her strong play helped UB earn their fourth straight victory.
- St. John's – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Youngstown State – Gurjeena Jandu
- Cornell – Hannah Callaghan
- Albany – Carissima Cutrona
- Canisius – Gianna Yurchak
The Bulls will stay at home on Sunday afternoon as they welcome St. Francis (PA) for a non-conference matchup inside UB Stadium at 12:00 pm.