BUFFALO, NY – Senior Moira Petrie couldn't have asked for a better ending to her Senior Day at UB Stadium on Sunday afternoon as she was able to end the match in the 95th minute with a beautiful goal to give the UB women's soccer team (7-8-2, 5-4-1 MAC) the 1-0 victory over Miami. The win clinched the Bulls fourth straight trip to the MAC Tournament which will begin next Sunday with the quarterfinal round.
- Score: Buffalo 1, Miami 0 (OT)
- Records: Buffalo (7-8-2, 5-4-1 MAC), Miami (2-14-1, 2-7-1 MAC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorer: Moira Petrie (2)
- Buffalo Assist: Kara Daly (5)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Attendance: 317
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Meghan Simmons, Gurjeena Jandu, Adrianna VanCuyck, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Carley Zoccali, Kaitlyn Walsh, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Miami: Pat Koutoulas, Tori Christiansen, Jenny Barr, Lydia Brosnahan, Amy Malone, Katie Alexander, Kat Zalar, Olivia Winnett, Reagan Fleck, Soph Spinell
How It Happened
- Buffalo had the first dangerous chance of the game in the ninth minute as Gianna Yurchak made a great pass to Carissima Cutrona who took a shot from in close that was deflected by the keeper and cleared off the line by a Miami defender.
- Senior Moira Petrie took a feed from Julia Benati in the 29th minute and took a shot on goal that was saved to keep the match scoreless.
- In the 35th minute, Julia Benati got into a dangerous spot and ripped a low shot on frame that was scooped up by the Miami keeper.
- In the 46th minute, Kaitlyn Walsh made a nice run and fed a streaking Kara Daly who took a shot that nearly missed the upper left corner of the net.
- A minute later, Julia Benati got the ball in a dangerous spot and ripped a low hard shot that was saved by the diving keeper.
- In the 47th minute, Laura Dougall made a nice stop on a hard shot from the left by Soph Spinell.
- Miami had a chance in the 54th minute but Kat Zalar saw her shot stopped by Laura Dougall as she went down to a knee.
- UB nearly broke the scoreless match in the 59th minute on the corner kick as Marcy Barberic sent a great corner into the box where Meghan Simmons got a head on the ball but it went just wide left of the net.
- In the 62nd minute, Buffalo played a quick free quick that Rebecca Bramble crossed into the box but Moira Petrie's shot attempt soared over the cross bar.
- UB had the final scoring chance of regulation in the 88th minute as Moira Petrie made a great pass to Julia Benati but the senior couldn't end the game as the Miami keeper made a nice diving stop to send the match to overtime.
- Buffalo wasted no time in overtime to end the match. In the 95th minute, Kara Daly made a great lead pass between two defenders to Moira Petrie who gathered the ball and blasted a perfect ball into the upper left corner of the net for the game-winner.
Inside The Numbers
- Sunday was Senior Day at UB Stadium for three Buffalo seniors, Laura Dougall, Julia Benati and Moira Petrie.
- With the win, Buffalo clinched a spot in the upcoming MAC Tournament for the fourth straight season. This marks the second time in program history that the Bulls have qualified for four straight MAC Tournaments.
- Senior Moira Petrie netted her first game-winning goal of the season and just the second of her UB career. She has now tied a career-high with six points on the season.
- Senior goalkeeper Laura Dougall made three saves in her sixth shutout of the season. Dougall now has a program record 39 career victories and 33 career clean sheets in her illustrious career.
- With her assist on Moira Petrie's game-winner, sophomore Kara Daly has now recorded a career-best five assists on the season.
- Julia Benati was a force once again on Sunday as she was able to notch a game-high seven shots in the win.
- Moira Petrie and Kara Daly finished off their matches with four shots each.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Moira Petrie as the Player of the Match after netting the game-winning goal on Senior Day at UB Stadium.
- Cincinnati – Laura Dougall
- Ohio State – Moira Petrie & Julia Benati
- Canisius – Kara Daly
- Youngstown State – Kara Daly
- Cornell – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Fairleigh Dickinson – Gurjeena Jandu
- St. Bonaventure – Carissima Cutrona
- Western Michigan – Adrianna VanCuyck
- Northern Illinois – Julia Benati
- Eastern Michigan – Moira Petrie
- Central Michigan – Laura Dougall
- Ohio – Julia Benati
- Kent State – Adrianna VanCuyck
- Bowling Green – Julia Benati
- Toledo – Carissima Cutrona
- Ball State – Julia Benati & Marcy Barberic
- Miami (OH) – Moira Petrie
Buffalo will wrap up the regular season on Thursday afternoon as they head to Akron to take on the Zips at 3:00 pm. Buffalo currently sits in fifth place in the MAC standings. In order to host a MAC quarterfinal match, UB will need a win and will also need a Toledo loss or tie.