MOUNT PLEASANT, MI – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (4-5-2, 2-1-1 MAC) wrapped up their first road MAC weekend with a 0-0 draw at Central Michigan on Sunday afternoon. The Chippewas held the 19-14 edge in shots in the draw.
- Score: Buffalo 0, Central Michigan 0 (2OT)
- Records: Buffalo (4-5-2, 2-1-1 MAC), Central Michigan (5-4-3, 0-2-2 MAC)
- Location: CMU Soccer Complex – Mount Pleasant, MI
- Attendance: 205
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Meghan Simmons, Gurjeena Jandu, Adrianna VanCuyck, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Moira Petrie, Kaitlyn Walsh, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Central Michigan: Zoie Reed, Mary Carlson, Madison Pogarch, Lexi Pelafas, Savannah Beetcher, Sheila Mangnan, Ally Viazanko, Lauren Sherry, McKay Matheson, Madison Costner
How It Happened
- The Chippewas had the first scoring chance of the match in the fourth minute but Laura DOugall made a nice stop on the shot by Madison Pogarch.
- In the 12th minute, Julia Benati sent a corner kick into the box where Moira Petrie had a look on goal but her shot was saved by Zoie Reed.
- After some back-and-forth play over the next 20 minutes, Carissima Cutrona had a chance in the 34th minute but her hard shot went just wide of the CMU goal.
- The Bulls survived a flurry of Central Michigan shots in the 37th minute as Laura Dougall made the original stop on Lexi Pelafas and the rebound attempt was blocked but Pelafas regathered the ball and ripped a shot wide of the goal.
- In the final minute of the opening half, Laura Dougall made another stop on Madison Pogarch to send the match to half, scoreless.
- Central Michigan opened the second half with a scoring chance but Laura Dougall made another key stop.
- Gianna Yurchak ripped a shot on frame in the 57th minute that was swallowed up by Zoie Reed.
- In the 66th minute, Rebecca Bramble had a chance to open the scoring but her right-footed shot was saved by the CMU keeper.
- Laura Dougall made her final save of the second half in the 80th minute as she grabbed the shot off the foot of Meghan Sweeney and sent the match into overtime.
- The Chippewas had a couple chances early on in the first overtime but Laura Dougall was up to the task, collecting a pair of saves on Lexi Pelafas and Marle Bringard.
- In the 98th minute, Laura Dougall came up with back-to-back saves to send the match into double overtime still scoreless.
- Kaitlyn Walsh provided UB with their lone shot in the second overtime as she ripped a shot high over the cross bar as the teams battled to the 0-0 draw.
Inside The Numbers
- With the draw, the Chippewas own the 13-6-5 record in the all-time series but UB improved to 3-1-2 against Central Michigan in the last six matches.
- Central Michigan held the 19-14 edge in shots and the 6-5 edge in corner kicks in the match.
- Junior Carissima Cutrona led all UB players with five shots while Gianna Yurchak notched three.
- Lexi Pelafas led CMU with eight shots while Madison Pogarch chipped in with six shots, four on goal, in the draw.
- Senior Laura Dougall finished off her impressive match with nine saves in her fourth clean sheet of the season. She has now notched 31 career clean sheets for the Bulls.
- Zoie Reed finished her clean sheet with five saves for the Chippewas.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Laura Dougall as the Player of the Match after making nine saves in her fourth clean sheet of the season.
- Cincinnati – Laura Dougall
- Ohio State – Moira Petrie & Julia Benati
- Canisius – Kara Daly
- Youngstown State – Kara Daly
- Cornell – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Fairleigh Dickinson – Gurjeena Jandu
- St. Bonaventure – Carissima Cutrona
- Western Michigan – Adrianna VanCuyck
- Northern Illinois – Julia Benati
- Eastern Michigan – Moira Petrie
- Central Michigan – Laura Dougall
What They Are Saying
- Head coach Shawn Burke: "I am really pleased with this weekend, going on the road and taking four points. We still have to clean up some defensive issues, but overall the team is getting better and competing."
The Bulls will return to the road on Thursday afternoon as they head to Athens, OH to take on the Ohio Bobcats. First kick is set for 4:00 pm on Thursday.