YPSILANTI, MI – Junior forward Carissima Cutrona netted her team-leading fifth goal of the season in the 81st minute to lift the University at Buffalo women's soccer team (4-5-1, 2-1-0 MAC) to the dramatic 2-1 road victory over Eastern Michigan on Friday afternoon at Scicluna Field. Cutrona finished off her huge game with the game-winner, seven shots and five shots on goal in the Bulls second MAC win of the season.
- Score: Buffalo 2, Eastern Michigan 1
- Records: Buffalo (4-5-1, 2-1-0 MAC), Eastern Michigan (3-8-1, 0-3-0 MAC)
- Buffalo Goal Scorers: Marcy Barberic (1), Carissima Cutrona (5)
- Buffalo Assists: Gurjeena Jandu (1), Gianna Yurchak (2)
- Eastern Michigan Goal Scorer: Madeline Olson (2)
- Eastern Michigan Assist: Marla Cobetto (2)
- Location: Scicluna Field – Ypsilant, MI
- Attendance: 172
- Buffalo: Laura Dougall, Meghan Simmons, Gurjeena Jandu, Adrianna VanCuyck, Rebecca Bramble, Julia Benati, Marcy Barberic, Moira Petrie, Kaitlyn Walsh, Carissima Cutrona, Gianna Yurchak
- Eastern Michigan: Madeline Olson, Kaylin Williams, Kristin Nason, Tessa Osborne, Peyton Davis, Maggie McCullough, Chloe Chatzis, Alia Frederick, Chanel Vani, Mackenzie Etienne, Lindsey Shira
How It Happened
- The Eagles opened up the match with the first shot of the afternoon just 58 seconds in as Madeline Olson ripped a shot that was saved by Laura Dougall.
- Buffalo wasted no time getting on the board first in the fifth minute as Gurjeena Jandu fed Marcy Barberic who unleashed a hard shot from just outside the box that found the upper right corner of the goal to give UB the 1-0 edge. The goal was Barberic's first career goal and point while the assist for Jandu was her first of the season.
- After a pair of Laura Dougall stops, the Eagles Madeline Olson saw her shot attempt in the 23rd minute ring off the post and was then cleared by the UB defense to keep the game 1-0 in favor of the visitors.
- In the 32nd minute, Rebecca Bramble had a chance to extend the UB lead to two but her shot went just wide.
- Carissima Cutrona had her first scoring chance of the match in the 36th minute but her shot went wide to keep the Bulls ahead by one.
- Late in the first half, the Eagles had a pair of scoring chances but the Buffalo defense came up with two blocked shots to send the match to halftime with UB up 1-0.
- Laura Dougall stepped up and made a big stop just three minutes into the second half as she prevented Madeline Olson from tying the match.
- UB had a couple of chances to extend their lead to two goals in the 52nd and 56th minutes but Carissima Cutrona and Gianna Yurchak both saw their attempts saved by Kaylin Williams.
- After exchanging some chances over the next 15 minutes, the Eagles broke through with the game-tying goal in the 77th minute. Marla Cobetto sent a cross into the box where Madeline Olson netted her second goal of the season.
- The Bulls wasted no time taking the lead back as Carissima Cutrona took a pass from Gianna Yurchak just outside the 18-yard box and beat the EMU keeper for the eventual game-winning goal.
- The Bulls controlled the match after the go-ahead goal to seal the win as they recorded five shots across the final eight minutes while the Eagles weren't able to attempt a shot for the tying goal.
Inside The Numbers
- With the win, Buffalo improves to 3-0-2 against the Eagles over their last five meetings in the series.
- Eastern Michigan held the 20-16 edge in shots and the 3-1 edge in corner kicks in the match.
- With her game-winning goal, Carissima Cutrona moved into 14th place on the Bulls all-time goal scoring charts with her 18th career goal. Cutrona also ranks 14th in career points with 45.
- Junior Carissima Cutrona has now notched six career game-winning goals for the Bulls.
- The goal for Marcy Barberic was the first goal of her UB career along with the first point of her career.
- With her assist on Cutrona's game-winner, freshman Gianna Yurchak is now tied for the team-lead with three assists.
- The assist for Gurjeena Jandu was her first of the season and second of her UB career.
- Carissima Cutrona led all UB players with seven shots and five shots on goal in the win. The trio of Kaitlyn Walsh, Julia Benati and Gianna Yurchak finished off their games with two shots each.
- Madeline Olson led all players with nine shots, including four on goal in the loss for the Eagles.
- Senior goalkeeper Laura Dougall finished off the win with six saves while her counterpart Kaylin Williams made five stops in the loss.
Player of the Match
Following the match, the UB coaching staff selected Carissima Cutrona as the Player of the Match after she netted her team-leading fifth goal to secure the win for the Bulls. Cutrona finished with seven shots and five shots on goal in the win.
- Cincinnati – Laura Dougall
- Ohio State – Moira Petrie & Julia Benati
- Canisius – Kara Daly
- Youngstown State – Kara Daly
- Cornell – Kaitlyn Walsh
- Fairleigh Dickinson – Gurjeena Jandu
- St. Bonaventure – Carissima Cutrona
- Western Michigan – Adrianna VanCuyck
- Eastern Michigan – Moira Petrie
What They Are Saying
- Head coach Shawn Burke: "I have to give a ton of credit to our girls for finding a way to win on the road this afternoon. We made it harder than we should have, but winning is hard and our girls found a way today."
Buffalo will play their middle match of a three-match road swing on Sunday at 12:00 pm as they head to Mount Pleasant, MI to take on the Central Michigan Chippewas.