LEWISBURG, PA – The University at Buffalo track & field program returned to action this weekend, competing in the Bison Outdoor Classic hosted by the Bucknell University at Christy Mathewson Memorial Stadium in Lewisburg, Pa. Buffalo Freshman Shevaughn Allen shined for the Bulls, as he leapt to a personal best 50'3.50" on his way to claiming victory in the event, ranking him first in the MAC, #18 in the NCAA East, and second all-time in program history. Leon Atkins successful campaign carried into the weekend as the mid-distance specialist claimed victory in the 800m with a personal best mark of 1:49.97, moving him up to the 28th best mark in the NCAA East region. Atkins' mark still ranks first in the MAC, and now ranks as the fourth fastest time in program history.
Other notable women's performances:
- In the triple jump, Christina Wende jumped to a new personal best mark, of 40'2" placing 2nd overall. Her jump is fourth in the MAC currently and ranks sixth all-time in UB history.
- Wende also had an impressive showing in the high jump, leaping her way to a new PR mark of 17'8, placing 6th in a deep field of over 30 jumpers.
- Freshman Molly Mccreedy set a new personal best in the women's discus throw, placing 3rd with a distance 146'10".
- Sam Hjelmar jumped a season's best and placed 4th in the women's high jump in 5'5.25".
- On the track, Riley Jones ran to a season's best of 4:50.66 in the 1500m.
- Amy Villarini placed 4th of 57 runners in the 400m race, clocking in a time of 56.73, a season's best 56.73 mark.
- Asia Hoyte set a new personal best in the hammer throw event, throwing for 49.92m.
Other notable men's performances:
- Leon Atkins won the unseeded 1500m in a personal best time of 3:53.28, placing him #8 on the UB All-Time history list, and #5 in the MAC.
- Brandon Burke continued his great campaign, setting a new PR in the high jump, soaring over 6'11.75"/2.13m, winning the event. He is just one cm shy of breaking the school record of (2.14m). His mark is #15 in the NCAA East, third in the MAC, and second in all-time program history.
- Justin Schramm also had a very competitive 1500m race, pacing himself to a season's best time of 3:54.10, also ranking in the top-10 in the MAC.
- Matthew Mercer continued his personal best run in the outdoor season with a sub-15:00 barrier mark in the 5000m running 14:58.80.
- William Hilbert clocked in a time of 30:26.15 in the 10,000m race, placing 17th in a talent-loaded field under the late night lights of the Chrissy Matthews Stadium. Hilberts' time is second in the MAC and second all-time in UB history.
- Devon Patterson placed second in the shot put with a distance of 57'10.25".
- Sam Wray set a new PR in the hammer throw with a toss of 54.41/178'6, currently ranking him #5 in the MAC.
Up next, the Bulls will have a busy weekend of action ahead as they split up with part of the team competing at Ohio State and others competing at the Larry Ellis Invite in Princeton, N.J.