MUNCIE, IN – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team concluded the regular season on Sunday with a 5-2 win at Ball State as the Bulls secured the #2 seed in the upcoming Mid-American Conference Tournament. Buffalo is now 12-9 on the season and 5-2 in MAC play with both conference losses coming against the top seed, Western Michigan.
The Bulls opened the afternoon with a strong performance in doubles. UB got wins at each of the top two doubles matches as seniors Vidit Vaghela and Petr Vodak came away with a 6-3 win at one, while sophomores Hao Sheng Koay and Villhelm Fridell won at two, 6-2.
Buffalo won four the six matches in singles action. Vodak scored a 7-5, 6-1 victory and four and junior Ethan Nittolo won 7-6 (6), 6-2 at three to give the Bulls a 3-0 lead. Koay then clinched the match for the Bulls at one as he defeated his opponent, 7-6 (6), 6-4.
With the match already clinched, Ball State won at two and six, but UB recorded the final victory of the afternoon as freshman Nickolas Frisk overcame a first set loss for a 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory.
"This was a tough weekend to go on the road and play two tournament teams in Northern Illinois and Ball State, but I am really proud of the way our guys responded in both matches," said head coach Lee Nickell. "I like the way we are playing as a group right now and you want to be playing your best tennis going into the MAC Tournament. We look forward to hosting two days of great tennis next week."
As winners of the regular season last year, Buffalo will host the 2018 MAC Tournament, which begins on Friday with the semifinals. #1 Western Michigan and #4 Ball State will begin action at 10am, while #2 Buffalo will face #3 Northern Illinois at 2pm. Both matches will take place at the Miller Tennis Center.
2. Hao Shen Koay/Villhelm Fridell (BUFFALO) def. Marko Guzina/Conner Andersen (BALLST) 6-2
1. Hao Shen Koay (BUFFALO) def. Marko Guzina (BALLST) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
2. Nemanja Guzina (BALLST) def. Villhelm Fridell (BUFFALO) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Ethan Nittolo (BUFFALO) def. Thibault De Negri (BALLST) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
4. Petr Vodak (BUFFALO) def. Conner Andersen (BALLST) 7-5, 6-1
5. Nickolas Frisk (BUFFALO) def. Chris Adams (BALLST) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Bryce Bonin (BALLST) def. Vidit Vaghela (BUFFALO) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4