WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team won its third straight match on Saturday afternoon as the Bulls came away with a 5-2 win over Toledo. The victory improves UB to 10-8 on the year and 3-1 in MAC play.
The Bulls won a tight doubles point to lead things off on Saturday. The first win came at third doubles as junior Ethan Nittolo and freshman Matthew Johnson scored a 6-4 win. UB's nationally ranked duo of Vidit Vaghela and Petr Vodak then clinched the point with a hard-fought 7-5 win at one. The match at second doubles was tied 6-6 when play was stopped.
Singles were tight throughout as the Bulls won four of the six matches. Sophomore Villhelm Fridell continued his strong play with a 6-3, 6-0 win at third singles. Toledo then came away with wins at two and six to tie the match up at 2-2, but the Bulls were able to win the final three singles contests.
Freshman Nickolas Frisk scored a 6-3, 6-4 win at fifth singles and then it was a fight to see who was going to clinch first. That honor came to Vodak at fourth singles as he won 6-4, 7-6 (4). Moments after the Bulls clinched sophomore Hao Sheng Koay won a three-set match at first singles. He won his opening set 6-2, before falling in the second 6-3. Koay then won the third 6-4 to finish off the Rockets.
"This weekend was tough, but our guys responded great by coming out with two wins," said head coach Lee Nickell. "I am proud of Nick [Frisk] for stepping in and winning in that crucial spot, which gave us momentum to close out the match. Our seniors, Vidit and Petr, fought back and won doubles and those performances carried us through this afternoon. Now we will rest up and get healthy and we are excited have Western Michigan come here next week."
The Bulls close out the home portion of their regular season schedule next Sunday April 15 when they host Western Michigan at 11:00am. That will be Senior Day for Vaghela and Vodak.
- #64 Vidit Vaghela/Petr Vodak (UB) def. Luka Vitosevic/Danilo Vukotic (UT), 7-5
- Villhelm Fridell/Hao Sheng Koay (UB) vs. Vince Anzalone/Thawin Suksathaporn (UT), 6-6
- Ethan Nittolo/Matthew Johnson (UB) def. Juan Carranza/Serjen Olmedo (UT), 6-4
- Hao Sheng Koay (UB) def. Vince Anzalone (UT), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
- Luka Vitosevic (UT) def. Ethan Nittolo (UB), 6-3, 6-3
- Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Thawin Suksathaporn (UT), 6-3, 6-0
- Petr Vodak (UB) def. Danilo Vukotic (UT), 6-4, 7-6 (4)
- Nickolas Frisk (UB) def. Serjen Olmedo (UT), 6-3, 6-4
- Reid Teatsorth (UT) def. Matthew Johnson (UB), 6-4, 6-2