CUMBERLAND, RI– The University at Buffalo men's tennis team went on the road and earned a 5-2 win over Bryant at Fore Court on Sunday afternoon. It was the Bulls' third straight win.
Bryant started things off by winning all three matches to take the doubles point. Matt Kuher and Artur Jakubowski defeated Petr Vodak and Vidit Vaghela at first doubles, 6-1. Jorge Ortiz-Garcia and Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia beat Hao Sheng Koay and Ethan Nittolo, 7-6, at second doubles. Third doubles went to Luke Lorenz and Grant Pertile took down Villhelm Fridell and Matthew Johnson, 6-3.
The Bulls fared much better in singles, taking five of the six matches. UB won four of the matches in straight sets.
Nittolo beat Lorenz, 6-3, 6-3, at second singles. At three, Vodak rallied from dropping the opening set, 6-3, to win sets two and three, 6-3, 6-2, respectively, to take the match.
Johnson cruised to a 6-2, 6-2, win over Trent Massam at four. At five, Fridell beat Guido Argentini, 6-3, 6-1. Finally, at six singles, Nickolas Frisk defeated Ortiz, 6-4, 6-4.
"Bryant gave us all we could handle today and we are fortunate to get out of here with the win," head coach Lee Nickell said. "I am very proud of our guys for fighting through some tough conditions to get the win. We are excited to get back on court this week as we prepare for our first MAC weekend."
The Bulls will face Western Michigan in their MAC opener on Saturday in Toledo, OH. The match is scheduled to start at 2 pm.
1. Matt Kuhar/Artur Jakubowski (BU) def. Petr Vodak/Vidit Vaghela (UB), 6-1
2. Jorge Ortiz-Garcia/Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (BU) def. Hao Sheng Koay/Ethan Nittolo, 7-6
3. Luke Lorenz/Grant Pertile (BU) def. Matthew Johnson/Villhelm Fridell (UB), 6-3
1. Matt Kuhar (BU) def. Hao Sheng Koay (UB), 6-1, 6-4
2. Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Luke Lorenz (BU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Petr Vodak (UB) def. Artur Jakubowski (BU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Matthew Johnson (UB) def. Trent Massam (BU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Guido Argentini , 6-3, 6-1
6. Nickolas Frisk (UB) def. Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (BU), 6-4, 6-4