WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team won their second straight match on Sunday afternoon as the Bulls came away with a 7-0 win over Cleveland State at the Miller Tennis Center. Buffalo is now 5-4 on the season following the win.
UB began the dominating effort in doubles as the number one squad of Petr Vodak and Vidit Vaghela lost just one game in a 6-1 win. The Bulls clinched the doubles point following a 6-3 victory from Ethan Nittolo and Hao Sheng Koay at second doubles.
The Bulls then won all six matches in singles, including three of those in straight sets. Nittolo scored a 6-4, 6-3win at second singles, while freshman Matthew Johnson won easily at four, 6-3, 6-0. Sophomore Villhelm Fridell won 6-3, 6-0 at fifth singles as the Bulls clinched the contest.
UB then won the other three matches in third sets. Vodak won at three, 6-3, 4-6, 10-4, while freshman Nickolas Frisk won at sixth singles, 4-6, 6-3, 10-6. Koay was locked into a tight match at first singles, which also went the distance. He won the opening set in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (4), before dropping the second set 7-5. Koay then won the tiebreak 10-7, ending the match on a service ace.
It was a solid win over a Cleveland State squad, who had won their last three matches all by 7-0 scores. They also hung tight with Notre Dame earlier this spring, losing just 5-2.
"I am very proud of the way we played today," said head coach Lee Nickell. "Cleveland State is a very good team, and even though they were missing a few guys, we didn't take them lightly. We are on the right path and we look forward to playing Bryant in two weeks."
The Bulls will have an extended break, as they will see the court again two weeks from today when they travel to Bryant for a 12pm match on Sunday, March 11.
- Petr Vodak/Vidit Vaghela (UB) def. Benjamin Slade/Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 6-1
- Ethan Nittolo/Hao Sheng Koay (UB) def. Luke Phillips/William Malm (CSU), 6-3
- Matthew Johnson/Villhelm Fridell (UB) led Jack Santilli/Matthew Terry, 5-4, unfinished
- Hao Sheng Koay (UB) vs. Matthew Terry (CSU) 7-6 (4), 5-7, 10-7
- Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Luke Phillips (CSU), 6-4, 6-3
- Petr Vodak (UB) def. Gabriel Evtimov (CSU), 6-3, 4-6, 10-4
- Matthew Johnson (UB) def. William Malm (CSU), 6-3, 6-0
- Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Mirko Radosevic (CSU), 6-2, 6-1
Nickolas Frisk (UB) def. Jack Santilli (CSU), 4-6, 6-3, 10-6