WEST POINT, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team split a pair of matches on Sunday in West Point as UB swept Army, 4-0, before dropping a tough 4-3 match to Ivy League foe, Princeton. The Bulls are currently 3-4 on the season.
UB shut out the Black Knights this morning as the Bulls won all three matches in doubles. Petr Vodak and Vidit Vaghela came away with a 6-4 win at first doubles, while Ethan Nittolo and Villhelm Fridell recorded a 7-5 victory. Hao Sheng Koay and Nickolas Frisk won at third doubles, 6-4.
The match was halted after UB got to four team points, as the Bulls got three victories from the bottom half of their singles lineup. Vaghela came away with a 6-4, 6-1 win at four and Fridell added a 6-3,6-2 win at five. Frisk picked up a win at six, 6-3, 6-2, to complete the sweep.
The Bulls matched up with Princeton this afternoon. The Tigers took the doubles point with wins at second and third doubles. It turned out to be an important point as the two teams split the six singles matches.
Koay won at first singles 6-4, 7-6 (4), and Nittolo came away with a 6-4, 7-5 at second singles as the Bulls scored wins at the top two spots in the singles order. UB also picked up a win at fifth singles as Fridell overcame a first set loss to win, 2-4, 6-4, 6-1. Princeton won matches at three and four and won a three-set match at six for the win.
The Bulls will play their first match in Western New York on Friday afternoon when they host Duquesne at Miller Tennis Center at 1pm. It will be a joint dual meet with the UB women's tennis team.
Buffalo 4, Army 0
- Petr Vodak/Vidit Vaghela (UB) def. Michael Nguyen/Gregory Shannon (ARMY), 6-4
- Ethan Nittolo/Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Dylan Simonsen/Myles Conlin (ARMY), 7-5
- Hao Sheng Koay/Nickolas Frisk (UB) def. David Mitchell/Grant Patterson (ARMY), 6-4
- Myles Nguyen (ARMY) vs. Hao Sheng Koay (UB), DNF
- Gregory Shannon (ARMY) vs. Ethan Nittolo (UB), DNF
- Myles Conlin (ARMY) vs. Petr Vodak (UB), DNF
- Vidit Vaghela (UB) def. David Mitchell (ARMY), 6-4, 6-1
- Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Dylan Simonsen (ARMY), 6-3, 6-2
- Nickolas Frisk (UB) def. Michael Sienko (ARMY), 6-3, 6-2
Princeton 4, Buffalo 3
1. Hao Sheng Koay (UB) def. Seggerman, Ryan (PRIN) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Rodriguez, Damian (PRIN) 6-4, 7-5
3. Gamble, Luke (PRIN) def. Vidit Vaghela (UB) 6-3, 6-3
4. Roberts, Davey (PRIN) def. Petr Vodak (UB) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
5. Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Holden, Payton (PRIN) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Vives, Diego (PRIN) def. Matthew Johnson (UB) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3