ITHACA, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team began its spring season on Wednesday afternoon, matching up with a tough Wichita State team in Ithaca, NY. The Bulls battled their way to a pair of singles victories and a doubles victory in a 5-2 loss to the Shockers.
The Bulls came away with the first win in doubles as the number three squad of Vidit Vaghela and newcomer Matthew Johnson defeated Haru Inoue and Eddie Stoica, 6-2. Wichita State was able to score wins at one and two by identical 6-4 scores though to claim the doubles point.
In singles actions, the Shockers picked up straight-set wins at one and two to take the 3-0 lead, but junior Ethan Nittolo claimed a straight set win at fourth singles over Andrea Trapani, 6-4, 6-4 to put the Bulls on the board.
The Shockers also won in straight sets at five, even though Villhelm Fridell was able to force both sets into a tiebreaker. Johnson, who just joined the team from South Africa, went three sets in his first collegiate match before falling at sixth singles, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2.
Sophomore Hao Sheng Koay ended the day on a high note for UB, as he came away with a win at third singles, 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (3).
The Bulls will remain on the road as they travel to Dartmouth to face the Big Green on Saturday.
Wichita State 5, Buffalo 2
1. Haru Inoue (WSU) def. Petr Vodak (UB) 6-2, 6-3
2. Marius Frosa (WSU) def. Vidit Vaghela (7-5, 6-2)
3. Hao Sheng Koay (UB) def. Murkel Dellien (WSU) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6(3)
4. Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Andrea Trapani (WSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Eddie Stoica (WSU) def. Villhelm Fridell (UB) 7-6(3), 7-6(5)
6. Miroslav Herzan (WSU) def. Matthew Johnson (UB) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
1. #27 Marius Frosa/Murkel Dellien (WSU) def. Hao Sheng Koay/Ethan Nittolo (UB) 6-4
2. Miroslav Herzan/Andrea Caligiana (WSU) def. Petr Vodak/Villhelm Fridell (UB) 6-4
3. Vidit Vaghela/Matthew Johnson (UB) def. Haru Inoue/Eddie Stoica (WSU) 6-2
Wichita State 1-0
Order of Finish: Doubles: (3,2,1) Singles: (1,2,4,6,5,3)