BINGHAMTON, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team improved to 2-0 in the MAC for the first time since the 2012-13 season on Saturday afternoon with a 5-2 victory over Northern Illinois. The Bulls are now 7-4 on the season and 2-0 in league play.
The Bulls dominated the singles portion of the match as they won five of the six contests. Northern Illinois picked up its lone win at second singles. Freshman Hao Sheng Koay won at first singles with a 7-6, 6-4 win, while Filip Grbic won at third singles, 6-3, 6-7, 6-2. Fridell overcame a first-set deficit at fourth singles as he won, 2-6, 6-2, 6-4.
Buffalo scored straight-set wins at both five and six as Vodak won his match, 6-1, 7-5, while Ethan Nittolo won at six, 6-2, 6-0.
"We needed a match like this," said head coach Lee Nickell. "Northern Illinois played very well and pushed us, but we stayed resilient and won a tough match. We are on a good path right now, and need to continue pushing ourselves in practice to be prepared for Western Michigan."
The Bulls will head to Kalamazoo, MI to face the Western Michigan Broncos on March 31 at 5:30pm.
- Eric Marbach/Georg Lundkvist (NIU) def. Filip Grbic/Hao Sheng Koay (UB), 6-4
- Petr Vodak/Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Bor Schweiger Muzar/Carlos Manzanas (NIU), 6-4
- Tom Hjertonsson/Louis-Philippe Hamel (NIU) def. Ethan Nittolo/Tony Miller (UB), 6-4
- Hao Sheng Koay (UB) def. Bor Schweiger Muzar (NIU), 7-6, 6-4
- Georg Lundkvist (NIU) def. Vidit Vaghela (UB), 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
- Filip Grbic (UB) def. Eric Marbach (NIU), 6-3, 6-7, 6-2
- Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Tom Hjertonsson (NIU), 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
- Petr Vodak (UB) def. Austin Russell (NIU), 6-1, 7-5
- Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Carlos Manzanas (NIU), 6-2, 6-0