DEKALB, IL - The Bulls rebounded from Friday's 4-3 loss to Ball State with a 5-2 win on the road against Northern Illinois. Buffalo improves to 3-3 in MAC play with Sunday's win.
For the tenth time this season, Buffalo secured the points at doubles. Amar Hromic and Pablo Alvarez made quick work at first doubles winning 6-1, while Ethan Nittolo and Sergio Arevalillo defeated their opponents, 6-4, at third doubles.
Akhil Mehta extended the team's lead to 2-0 with a 6-4, 6-4 win at fourth singles. Nittolo also won in straight sets, 6-3, 7-6, to secure the Bulls' third point of the day.
Hromic sealed the key conference victory for Buffalo with a third singles win with the score being 3-2 in UB's favor. In a three-set thriller, Hromic stormed to a 6-2 win in set three after winning 6-4 in the first set, but dropping the second set by an identical score.
Arevalillo won the third set, 7-6, to go 2-0 on the weekend. After dropping the first set 6-2, Arevalillo battled back in the second set, 6-1 before securing the Bulls' fifth team point of the day.
"Today was a test of character for our guys, head coach Lee Nickell said. "I am truly proud of the way we stepped up and got a win in a hostile environment. We have a quick turnaround for a much improved Binghamton team, so we will get over this quickly and get prepared for Thursday."
With Sunday's win, the Bulls sit in a three-way tie for third place in the MAC with Ball State and Northern Illinois. Their final regular season match is on Thursday against Binghamton at home. The team's seniors will be recognized before the beginning of Thursday's match.
1. Amar Hromic/Pablo Alvarez (UB) def. Carlos Manzanas/Austin Russell (NIU), 6-1
2. Kevin Daun/Georg Lundkvist (NIU) vs. Akhil Mehta/Tony Miller (UB), DNF
3. Ethan Nittolo/Sergio Arevalillo (UB) def. Louis-Philippe Hamel/Tom Hjertonsson (NIU), 6-4
1. Carlos Manzanas (NIU) def. Pablo Alvarez (UB), 7-5, 6-4
2. Sergio Arevalillo (UB) def. Georg Lundkvist (NIU), 2-6, 6-1, 7-6
3. Amar Hromic (UB) def. Louis-Philippe Hamel (NIU). 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Akhil Mehta (UB) def. Tom Hjertonsson (NIU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Kevin Daun (NIU), 6-3, 7-6
6. Austin Russell (NIU) def. Artur Culicovschi (UB), 6-4, 7-6