MUNCIE, IN - Buffalo men's tennis team traveled to Ball State for their first away match of their conference matches this season. The Bulls battled hard and came back after dropping the doubles point, but fell to the Cardinals in a tight 4-3 result.
Ball State was victorious in doubles play as they won at first and second doubles. Sergio Arevalillo and Ethan Nittolo won at third doubles, 6-3.
Despite being down a point after doubles, the Bulls dug deep during singles action. Akhil Mehta started singles play well for the Bulls with a win at fourth singles. His 7-5, 6-4, win briefly tied the match at 1-1 after Ball State won the doubles point.
Sergio Arevalillo won his 13th match of the season and his eighth in a row. He defeated his second singles opponent in straight sets, 7-6 (2), 6-4. Amar Hromic tied the match at 3-3 with his three set victory, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3, to win at third singles.
"We dug ourselves another hole with the doubles point today and couldn't quite pull ourselves out," head coach Lee Nickell said following the tough 4-3 loss. "Credit to Ball State. They did a good job of executing at the end. I am proud of our effort and attitude and we know that we still have a team that can compete for the title."
The loss drops the Bulls to 2-3 in the MAC. Their next match will be on Sunday against Northern Illinois in their second to last match of the regular season.
1. Lucas Andersen (BSU) def. Pablo Alvarez (UB) 6-1, 6-2
2. Sergio Arevalillo (UB) def. Andrew Stutz (BSU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
3. Amar Hromic (UB) def. Nemanja Guzina (BSU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
4. Akhil Mehta (UB) def. Conner Andersen (BSU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Patrick Downs (BSU) def. Ethan Nittolo (UB) 1-6, 7-5, 7-5
6. Marko Guzina (BSU) def. Tony Miller (UB) 6-1, 7-5
1. Andrew Stutz/Conner Andersen (BSU) def. Pablo Alvarez/Amar Hromic (UB) 6-4
2. Lucas Andersen/Patrick Downs (BSU) def. Akhil Mehta/Tony Miller (UB) 6-0
3. Sergio Arevalillo/Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Matt Helm/Tom Carney (BSU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,4,6,2,3,5)