WILLIAMSVILLE, NY - University at Buffalo men's tennis team hosted Western Michigan for their second meeting on Sunday. Western Michigan prevailed over the Bulls, 5-2, in a thrilling MAC match that saw four of the six singles matches go to three sets.
Sergio Arevalillo won his seventh-straight match and earned his 100th career win at UB after defeating Western's Maik Steiner. The Spainard played his first match at second singles this season and earned a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 victory. Pablo Alvarez earned the point at first singles with a 1-6, 6-2, 6-2 victory over his opponent. It's the second match in a row where he played at first singles for the Bulls.
The Bulls battled in doubles play and didn't lose any match by more than three games.
After losing the first set, 5-4, Tony Miller fought back to force a third set at six singles. The third set was back and forth, but he fell 6-4.
Amar Hromic played at third singles for the first time this season. He won the second set 6-4 after dropping the first set by an identical score. After being down 5-2 in the third set, Hromic battled back to get the score to 5-4. Yet, he was unable to complete the comeback and fell, 6-4 in the third set.
- Hromic/Alvarez (UB) def. Loebel/Greiner (WMU), 6-3
- Steiner/Hamilton (WMU) def. Mehta/Miller (UB), 7-5
- Beckwith/Kecic (WMU) def. Arevalillo/Nittolo (UB), 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
- Pablo Alvarez (UB) def. Jefta Kecic (WMU), 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
- Sergio Arevalillo (UB) def. Maik Steiner (WMU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
- Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Amar Hromic (UB), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
- Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Akhil Mehta (UB), 6-4, 6-4
- Matej Svjectlicic (WMU) def. Ethan Nittolo (UB), 6-3, 7-6
- Daniel Loebel (WMU) def. Tony Miller (UB), 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4, 3*, 2, 6