BOWLING GREEN, OH – The University at Buffalo men's soccer team (11-3-3, 2-1-2 MAC) battled to a scoreless draw on Saturday night on the road at Bowling Green in the regular season finale for both teams. With the draw, the Bulls earned the #3 seed in next weekend's MAC Tournament and Buffalo will play the Bowling Green Falcons for the second straight match.
- Score: Buffalo 0, Bowling Green 0 (2OT)
- Records: Buffalo (11-3-3, 2-1-2 MAC), Bowling Green (9-5-4, 2-0-3 MAC)
- Location: Cochrane Field – Bowling Green, OH
- Buffalo: Joseph Kuta, Austin Place, Fox Slotemaker, David Enstrom, Alec Fisher, Nick Forrester, Daniel Cramarossa, Tommy Fogarty-Cameron, Rikard Lindqvist, Russell Cicerone, Braden Scales
- Bowling Green: Pat Flynn, Bismark Agyeman, Dominic Grida, Moe Mustafa, Chris Brennan, Tate Robertson, Alexis Souahy, Brad Macomber, Jacob Roth, Joe Sullivan, Anthony Mwembia
How It Happened
- The Falcons had the best chance of the early going as Moe Mustafa hit the post with his header attempt in the third minute.
- After a Bowling Green offsides, Russell Cicerone had the Bulls first shot but his blast was saved by the Falcons keeper.
- Three minutes later, Russell Cicerone had another shot that was stopped by Anthony Mwembia.
- In the 15th minute, Joseph Kuta made his first nice save of the match as he stopped the shot by Chris Brennan.
- Joseph Kuta made a pair of big saves in the 25th minute as he robbed Pat Flynn and Joe Sullivan.
- The Falcons had two more chances to score in the 37th minute but Joseph Kuta made a pair of great saves to help the Bulls go to half tied, 0-0.
- Russell Cicerone had the first chance of the second half in the 55th minute but his shot went high of the cage.
- In the 64th minute, Russell Cicerone ripped a shot that was stopped by Anthony Mwembia, keeping the game scoreless.
- The Buffalo finally allowed their first shot of the half in the 80th minute as Keaton Reynolds saw his shot go high.
- Joseph Kuta made a pair of great saves within the last five minutes of regulation as he robbed Chris Brennan and Joe Sullivan.
- Daniel Cramarossa almost ended the game in the 89th minute but his hard shot hit the cross bar and was cleared out by the Falcons defense, forcing overtime.
- Two minutes into overtime, Braden Scales had a great chance but his shot was saved by the Bowling Green keeper.
- In the 96th minute, Pat Flynn drilled the post and the Buffalo defense cleared the ball away.
- Robert Miller had the first shot of the second overtime in the 104th minute but his shot went wide right.
- The Falcons almost ended the match in the 107th minute but Chris Brennan's shot rang off the post.
- In the 108th minute, Ryan Pereira saw his hard shot blocked by the Bowling Green defender.
- The Falcons had the final shot of the match in the 109th minute but Jacob Roth's header went wide as the two teams played to a draw.
Inside The Numbers
- With the draw, the Bulls qualified for their second straight MAC Tournament and will be the #3 seed.
- With the nine-save clean sheet, Joseph Kuta has now tied a program record for shutouts in a seasons with his 10th clean sheet. Kuta tied Bobby Shuttleworth's program record.
- The Falcons held the 10-4 advantage in shots in the first half and the 12-7 edge in the second half in the draw. Bowling Green held the 8-2 edge in corner kicks for the match.
- Russell Cicerone led the Bulls with four shots while Daniel Cramarossa notched two shots in the draw.
What They Are Saying
- Head Coach Stu Riddle: "It was a tight nervy game and definitely had a feeling of a MAC semifinal match. We were resolute defensively and the back line were good vaue for their 10th clean sheet of the year. Going forward we need to be a lot beter if we are going to get what we want out of next weekend."
- The Bulls earned the #3 seed in next weekend's MAC Tournament and will play the #2 seed Bowling Green Falcons on Friday.