BUFFALO, NY – Senior captain Russell Cicerone capped his Senior Day with the game-winning goal in the 26th minute as the University at Buffalo men's soccer team (11-3-2, 2-1-1 MAC) downed visiting Oral Roberts, 1-0, in their final non-conference match of the season. With the win, the Bulls have 11 wins on the season for the first time since 2008 and the UB senior class wraps up their regular season careers at UB Stadium with an 18-7-5 record.
- Score: Buffalo 1, Oral Roberts 0
- Records: Buffalo (11-3-2, 2-1-1 MAC), Oral Roberts (6-9-2, 2-3-0 Summit)
- Buffalo Goal: Russell Cicerone (13)
- Buffalo Assist: Fox Slotemaker (2), Daniel Cramarossa (3)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Crowd: 291
- Buffalo: Joseph Kuta, Austin Place, Fox Slotemaker, David Enstrom, Alec Fisher, Nick Forrester, Daniel Cramarossa, Tommy Fogarty-Cameron, Rikard Lindqvist, Russell Cicerone, Braden Scales
- Oral Roberts: Thibaut Giquel, Alex Harris, Matthew Rogers, Corey Cantor, Santiago Riveros, Colton Haskin, Tarik Nicholls, Tyler Hill, Issac Fraley, Rafeal Rivera, Baptiste Vandeputte
How It Happened
- Buffalo was able to record the first dangerous chance of the match in the third minute as Russell Cicerone made a great run and ripped a shot that was deflected by the Oral Roberts keeper and cleared off the goal line at the last second by a defender.
- Joseph Kuta stepped up and made a great stop in the sixth minute as Santiago Riveros ripped a shot from 15 yards out.
- In the 26th minute, Russell Cicerone got the Bulls on the board as Daniel Cramarossa sent a free kick into the box where Fox Slotemaker headed a ball to Cicerone who buried the header goal, his 13th of the season.
- Three minutes later, Russell Cicerone almost gave UB the 2-0 lead as he ripped a shot that just missed the left corner of the net.
- In the 35th minute, Ryan Pereira ripped a shot that the Oral Roberts keeper made a nice poking stop on to keep the match 1-0 in favor of UB.
- The Golden Eagles had a good chance to score in the 57th minute but Santiago Riveros hard shot went just high of the upper left corner.
- In the 64th minute, Corey Cantor ripped a hard shot that Joseph Kuta watched soar over the cross bar.
- Santiago Riveros had a free kick from just outside the box in the 72nd minute that just went over the cross bar and out of play, preserving the UB 1-0 lead.
- The Golden Eagles had their last great chance to tie the match in the 75th minute but Matthew Rogers saw his header grabbed by a diving Joseph Kuta.
- The Bulls countered a minute later with a great scoring chance but David Enstrom's rocket shot was stop by the left fist of the keeper to keep the score 1-0 in favor of the Bulls.
- The Buffalo defense dug deep and controlled the final 14 minutes of the match, not allowing the Golden Eagles another scoring chance as they preserved their ninth clean sheet of the season.
Inside The Numbers
- With their win on Senior Day, the eight UB seniors finished off their careers with an 18-7-5 career record at home including a perfect 6-0-1 record at UB Stadium this season.
- With the win, Buffalo has recorded 11 wins in a season for the first time since 2008 when they won 12 matches.
- The Bulls held the 14-9 edge in shots and the 6-3 advantage in corner kicks in the win.
- Russell Cicerone continued to shine at UB Stadium as he netted the game-winning goal, giving him a goal in 19 of his last 22 matches at home. Cicerone has now accumulated 26 goals, 11 assists and 63 points in his last 22 home matches while leading his squad to a 16-3-3 record.
- Russell Cicerone now has a career-high 13 goals on the season, ranking seventh in program history for goals in a season.
- With his assist on Cicerone's game-winner, Fox Slotemaker has now recorded assists in back-to-back matches for the first time in his career.
- With his assist on Cicerone's game-winner, Daniel Cramarossa has now notched points in back-to-back matches for the first time this season.
- With the three-save clean sheet, Joseph Kuta has now notched nine clean sheets on the season, tied for second in program history for shutouts in a season by a goalkeeper.
- Prior to the match, the UB soccer team honored eight seniors for Senior Day, Russell Cicerone, Daniel Cramarossa, Austin Place, Alec Fisher, Braden Culver, Steven Stryker, Braden Scales and Ryan Pereira.
- Russell Cicerone led all players with five shots in the match while Rikard Lindqvist and Ryan Pereira each notched two shots in the win.
- Santiago Riveros and Matthew Rogers each had three shots in the loss.
- The Bulls will hit the road for their final regular season match of the season on Saturday, November 5 as they head to Bowling Green for a 7:00 pm match. With a win on Saturday, UB will clinch at least a share of the MAC regular season championship and depending on other results, the Bulls can earn the outright MAC regular season championship.