BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo men's soccer team (10-3-2, 2-1-1 MAC) stayed perfect at UB Stadium on Friday night as they handed the Northern Illinois Huskies a 1-0 defeat. With the win, the Bulls have now notched 10 wins on the season, marking the first time they have won 10 in a season since 2008 when they earned 12 wins.
- Score: Buffalo 1, Northern Illinois 0
- Records: Buffalo (10-3-2, 2-1-1 MAC), Northern Illinois (1-10-4, 0-3-1 MAC)
- Buffalo Goal: Tommy Fogarty-Cameron (2)
- Buffalo Assist: Fox Slotemaker (1), Daniel Cramarossa (2)
- Location: UB Stadium – Buffalo, NY
- Crowd: 296
- Buffalo: Joseph Kuta, Austin Place, Fox Slotemaker, David Enstrom, Alec Fisher, Nick Forrester, Daniel Cramarossa, Tommy Fogarty-Cameron, Rikard Lindqvist, Russell Cicerone, Braden Scales
- Northern Illinois: Drew Donnally, Jerome Roche, Richard Hall, Giovanni Garcia, Christian Molina, Giovanni Pacheco, Nixon Urrutia, Adam Lightner, Luke Read, Cody Witkowski, Ethan Pitre
How It Happened
- After Russell Cicerone was knocked down in the NIU box and wasn't awarded a penalty kick, the Huskies countered with the first shot of the match in the second minute as Christian Molina ripped a long distance shot that Joseph Kuta made a nice stop on.
- After a couple chances on corner kicks, the Bulls finally broke through with their first goal on the third straight corner. Daniel Cramarossa sent a great corner into the box where Fox Slotemaker headed the ball to Tommy Fogarty-Cameron who buried his second goal of the season in the 17th minute.
- In the 22nd minute, Braden Scales had a great chance to make it 2-0 but the NIU keeper made a great diving stop to his right, poking the ball out of bounds.
- Rikard Lindqvist had a golden opportunity to score in the 40th minute but his running shot went just left of the net after Russell Cicerone gave Lindqvist a great feed.
- Russell Cicerone had the first chance of the second half as he dribbled into the box and ripped a left-footed shot that just missed the left corner of the net.
- Buffalo almost made it 2-0 in the 68th minute as Russell Cicerone fed Tommy Fogarty-Cameron who just missed the top corner of the net.
- The Bulls had their best chance to put the match away in the 74th minute as Russell Cicerone made a great run and fed a streaking Steven Stryker who had a partial breakaway but his hard right-footed shot was turned away by the challenging keeper.
- Northern Illinois had a dangerous chance in the 76th minute but Christian Molina saw his header go just wide of the left corner after a nice cross into the box.
- The Huskies last chance for the equalizer came in the 84th minute as Max Voss ripped a shot from 20 yards out that went sailing over the UB goal.
- The Buffalo defense did a great job down the stretch to notch their eighth clean sheet of the season.
Inside The Numbers
- With the win, Buffalo has recorded 10 wins in a season for the first time since 2008 when they won 12 matches.
- The Bulls improved to 5-0-1 at home this season and 15-3-3 at home over their last three seasons.
- Buffalo held the dominant 20-3 edge in shots and the 7-3 edge in corner kicks in the win.
- With the one-save clean sheet, Joseph Kuta has now notched eight clean sheets on the season, tied for third in program history for shutouts in a season by a goalkeeper.
- The Buffalo defense has recorded eight clean sheets on the season, most in a season since 2008.
- The game-winning goal for Tommy Fogarty-Cameron was the first of his UB career.
- The assist for Fox Slotemaker was his first of the season and second of his UB career.
- Tommy Fogarty-Cameron led the Bulls with a career-high six shots while Russell Cicerone finished with five in the win.
- Christian Molina led all NIU players with two shots in the loss.
- The Bulls will return home on Sunday at 11:00 am as they welcome Oral Roberts for a non-conference match. Sunday's match at UB Stadium will also be Senior Day for eight UB players.